26 Feb 2011

Workshop Two!

I visited the hospital school on Wednesday this week. Thinking about what we had learnt in our previous session with hospital microbiologist Elaine, we made a little animation about the microorganisms we may find on our hands.
We looked at a film about bacteria growth, with microbes dividing and reproducing. I then showed the group how to make a simple stop-frame animation. 




Using my hand as a prop, each student drew an imaginary microbe onto my hand. I took lots of photographs as we went along, until my hand was covered in lots of jolly, colourful microorganisms. I then put all of the photographs I took into a sequence and hey presto, we had an animation!


Here is how it turned out......................


Hands On Project from Isobel Manning on Vimeo.


The artist Bruce Nauman has made lots of interesting work about the hands and how they are used to communicate. I discussed some of these works with the group. 


If you would like to see the hand washing film by Bruce Nauman, it is part the current exhibition Dirt at the Wellcome Collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment